Thursday, September 29, 2011

Rambling on my soap box

Occasionally, and only VERY occasionally, I have a realization that really makes sense.  OK so, I think it really makes sense and, therefore, makes sense to everyone else.  My latest was based on the frustration of the lack of manners in kids today.  This was brought on by a comment my 5 year old daughter made to me when she asked for something: 'Thank you,....and you're welcome for asking.'  How delightful!

The thought of interrupting a conversation between adults or not using please or thank you as a child is not something I can even wrap my brain around.  Never mind smart comments like the above.  Yet today's kids, raised by my generation, somehow have been unable to grasp the concept of basic manners.  Maybe the oddity of 'finishing school' or cotillions as a formal display of skills learned at 'finishing school' aren't as freaky as I had first thought. 

I decided to ride this train of thought and see where I went.  I could not have been more surprised when I realized that, of all the things my boys have learned in boy scouts, nothing has had to do with manners.  Yes, they pledge to be good citizens, blah, blah, blah.  Do they really know what that means?  From the meetings I've seen, I doubt they were paying attention long enough.  They can tie ten different kinds of knots, make 12 different kinds of kites, and sell $10,000 worth of popcorn.   Why wouldn't they have a section, maybe even two, on how to have manners?

No comments:

Post a Comment